Friday, December 10, 2010

Chili!

We're big chili fans around here, and any chance to whip up a new batch and try new techniques is met with enthusiasm.  I was in St. Pete, FL for Thanksgiving with the Moms, and on Saturday we headed down to Central Avenue for the annual St. Pete Chili Cook-off.  Inspiration surrounded me.

My sister Amy sent her recipe for White Chicken Chili (click the link or find it under "Pages" on the right side of the page), which is a great family dinner recipe that only takes about 30 minutes.

Today I'm interested in making a red Turkey Chili that cooks for at least an hour after each addition. These long cooking times are, of course, not necessary.  To make it quick, I would simmer after each addition for about 15 minutes at a minimum.  But the longer it has to simmer, the yummier it'll be.  The constant you find in the majority of award-winning chili recipes is the meat, onion and garlic simmering in chicken broth for as long as possible.

This is my recipe:




1 medium yellow onion, minced
1 medium garlic clove, minced
1TB vegetable oil
1.5 lbs fresh ground turkey

Brown onion and garlic in oil in a large pot, then add turkey and brown over medium heat, about 10 minutes.

Add 32oz chicken broth, reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 1-2 hours.

Add:
2 15oz cans tomato sauce
2 TBs strong brewed coffee
2 TBs red chili powder
1 TB brown sugar
1 TB salt
1 TB black pepper
1 TB ground cumin
1 TB oregano

Cover, and let simmer on low for 1-2 hours.

Add:
2 15oz cans red kidney beans, drained
2 medium green peppers, chopped

Cover, and let simmer for 30-60 minutes.

Turn heat off about 10 minutes before serving.  Top with grated cheese and sour cream, and serve with warm bread.

Like this!




Happy cooking!

3 comments:

  1. i read a friend's chili post recently where she used coffee & it was quite the hit in her house. my last chili batch made use of cocoa powder.

    this is the perfect dish to dig into with the chill outside!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the cocoa powder idea! I guess I would do that instead of the coffee and sugar, as you did. Doing chicken and chorizo together also sounds amazing.

    The photos on your blog are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My regular old chili recipe (which shamelessly uses pre bought chili seasoning packets) also includes a hefty dose of brown sugar. I think I started that for the girl's sake- but now I can't leave out a sweet to cut the spicy.

    ReplyDelete